Men’s Shirt Sew-Along: Completed!
This February (and now March!) I’m sewing along with Male Pattern Boldness and a bunch of other talented seamsters. We’re all making men’s shirts. Mine is for my husband, and this post marks its completion.
Friends, I couldn’t be happier. Last night I went to bed with my husband’s Sew-Along shirt completed. And, I didn’t even stay up past my bedtime! Since my husband and I had our marathon this past weekend, the completion of the shirt was put on hold the end of last week. So much the better though since I was stumped as to how to fix the sleeves. This week I took back on the challenge and finally have a finished shirt complete with (mostly) straight sleeves.
To fix the sleeves, I folded both sleeves in half longways along the grain line and cut along the long seam so that they were equivalent and matched the curve of the original sleeve pattern as closely as possible. I lost a good bit of width in the sleeves doing so, but I think the slim sleeves fit the slim shirt well, and, most importantly, my husband can wiggle around in them just fine.
All that was left was to add the cuffs, hem, buttons, and buttonholes. The cuff was a bit trickier this time around since I made the facing out of the contrasting silk. But, I like the peek of color that blends into the facing of the sleeve placket, so I’m very happy that I took the extra time.
To be honest, I was the most nervous about the buttonholes. The only time I’ve ever made a button hole was in my first sewing class back in January of 2010. This time around I had to make 11 of them! And, I had to add buttons to match. Fortunately, once I got started, things went smoothly. To make sure the buttons matched, I taped each button on in the position I wanted it so that it wouldn’t move before it was stitched in place.
This shirt marks the first ever piece of clothing that I’ve completed by hand. Hurrah!