Crescent Skirt: Completed!
During the second half of April and into May, I’m sewing along with Tasia at Sewaholic.net. A bunch of other talented seamsters and I are all making her just-released Crescent skirt pattern. This post marks its completion.
What’s black and white and red all over?
Me, wearing my just-completed Crescent skirt and blushing at my terrible self-timer photography skills. My husband is out of town, so I pulled out the tripod and tried to capture both the classic beauty and the fun, flirty spirit of this skirt. I thought I had several good photos. You’ll have to settle for a single side view for now.
Since the last post, I added the waistband facing, the zipper, and the hem. The only major trouble I had was sewing down the facing. Tasia recommends “stitch[ing] within the ditch,” but I had a disaster of a time keeping everything neat. The seam ripper and I were getting too close for comfort, so I chose instead to slipstitch the facing down.
For the hem I followed the guidelines in Sandra Betzina’s More Fabric Savvy. I folded the hem up 1/4 inches, then again 1/4 inches, and stitched along the top of the fold. Though there’s a visible line of stitching all the way around, it’s a nice, neat finish, and I’m pleased with how it turned out.
I enjoyed making this pattern. It taught me a lot about gathering full skirts, adding pockets, waistband construction, and zipper insertion. It also gave me more practice fitting a pattern. Tasia’s patterns are designed with pear-shaped women in mind. I’m more of a pencil, so I had to taper the waistband down in order to get a snug fit. I left the skirt pattern pieces as is, figuring that I would just end up with a little extra gathering, which I tried to focus at the center front.
I wore the skirt to a Memorial Day barbecue today with the top shown above, a cardigan, and some sandals. My friends have been hearing a lot about this skirt lately, and it was fun to finally show it off. Another successful Sew-Along completed!