The Versatile Blogger

November 8, 2011

A big thanks goes to Stephanie at Stouty Sews for tagging me as a Versatile Blogger.  She was in turn tagged by Lavender of threadsquare.  To be honest, I’m not really sure what it means or what I’m supposed to do next, but I’m ever so thankful to be mentioned as one of someone else’s favorite blogs.  Especially when I’ve had so little time to sew and blog these days.

From what I gather, I’m supposed to share seven things about me and then tag more blogs.  Here goes…

• I am a scientist by day (and night and weekend).  I got my PhD in Chemistry, and I’m now doing a postdoctoral fellowship in Neurobiology.  I like to ask questions about how the brain works on the chemical scale.
  • I am an avid runner.  I competed in the 800 m and 1500 m races in college, but I’ve since moved on to longer races from a 5 k to a marathon.  I’ve even run one 50 k.
  • I’m obsessed with cats and have two.  But, if you’ve been here for a while, you probably already knew that.  I also have a single fish living in a giant tank.  And many plants.
  • I don’t own a television.  But, I hardly have time in the evenings for anything other than making dinner and catching up with my husband, so I have no idea how I’d find an hour for a TV show anyway.
  • I do own lots and lots of books.  I’ve collected books all of my life, and then I married a man who had a very large collection of books himself.  For some reason it makes me very happy to be surrounded by books.
  • I love the San Francisco area, but I grew up on the other side of the country in Virginia.  My family still lives there, and I miss it dearly.  Especially now that it’s gotten so expensive to fly.
  • I’ve always wanted to learn to play the violin.  I own one that my parents picked up years ago at an antique store (I think as a trade for a treadle sewing machine), but I haven’t taken the time to learn how to play.  One day…
Okay, now for the tagging of others.  I’ll keep my list short in the hopes of hitting bloggers who have yet to be tagged but deserve a bit of attention.
  • Sew Technicolor – I adore Kristin’s embroidery, and I’ve enjoyed watching her learn to knit over the past few months.
  • Hand Sewn Home Grown – Evelyne makes fabulous garments.  Even better, many things she makes are for her very lucky daughter.  (I’m a huge fan of sewing for others.  Without someone having sewn for me, I likely wouldn’t have launched myself into this hobby.)
Okay, folks.  Thanks for listening.  I hope you’re all having marvelous weeks.  I have my monthly sewing class tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll have some sewing to write about before the week is up.
  1. Lisa permalink
    November 10, 2011 11:03 am

Amy-
    I am so glad that you and Kristin have been blessed with your talents. You both amaze me how you can do these beautiful things. Keep up the good work. We are so glad you and Kristin are talking on a regular basis. Granny would be so happy!!! Love, Aunt Lisa & Uncle Barry

• November 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks Aunt Lisa! The Internet is pretty wonderful for allowing me to keep up with those far away. It’s been fun getting back in touch with Kristin – she’s so talented. I love my wallet and get so many compliments on it. I’ve even tried my hand at a bit of embroidery after being inspired by her, but it’s nothing compared to the designs she makes. I hope all is well with all of you. Sending you lots of love, Amy

2. November 10, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks, Amy! =)

I collect books, too. My bookshelves need reorganizing right now because they’re so overstuffed! Having a used bookstore and two bargain bookstores in town is dangerous for bookworms.

~Kristin

3. November 11, 2011 7:47 am

It’s fun to learn a bit about you. Neuroscience is utterly fascinating to me. I’m guilty on the cats (and dogs) and books, too. It’s getting to the point where we need wall to wall bookshelves covering the house.

• November 11, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah, our living room is more of a library. We have two walls of bookshelves, lots of chairs, and no TV. I’d love to have dogs as well, but we don’t live in an apartment that dogs would enjoy, in my opinion. Too little space. One day…

4. November 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks for responding! I just think it’s fun to get to know bloggers a bit better.

Smart girl! Good for you. I’m sure it’s fascinating work.

Do you treat your cats like children? I’m completely obsessed with mine. Like, I don’t even dare post pictures of her because Stouty Sews could downward spiral into a mommy blog really quickly!

5. December 1, 2011 7:07 am

Egads, I am so behind! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself, Amy! Bravo for the PhD and postdoc… maybe you will find some answers to Alzheimer’s :) How do you find the time to sew, with all the work you do? I feel especially lame now.

6. February 25, 2012 1:37 am

Amy, how did I miss this!!! Thank you so much for tagging me as a Versatile Blogger – your comments were really lovely. Yes, I love sewing for my daughter, more than I do for myself. I love to see her in clothes that she loves and appreciates – makes me proud. If that’s self-indulgence then so be it. At work, I’m always asked, now it’s about time you made something for yourself – I don’t mind – I love to sew for Jess.
    Amy – I am in awe of your accomplishments!!! Not only do you keep down a full-time job, sew but doing a postdoc as well! – W0W. How do you find the time to fit it all into the day/week. I also love collecting books – gardening and sewing and I LOVE CATS!!
    Thank you so much for sharing with us all a glimpse of yourself. THANK YOU!

• February 27, 2012 4:28 pm

No, thank you. It’s been such a joy following your blog this past year!

1. Just My Luck « Sew Well