Sewing Along: The Minoru Jacket

This winter I’m sewing along with Tasia at A bunch of other talented seamsters and I are all making her Minoru jacket pattern.  This post marks the beginning of the saga.

Today marks the first official day of the Sewaholic Minoru jacket Sew-Along.  I was planning on making my version out of a sweatshirt knit since the line drawing looked like a classy, comfy sweatshirt hoodie to me.  But, over holiday in Santa Barbara, I fell in love with this “Painted Me a ?” cotton, lycra blend from Fine Fabrics.  I think it’ll make a wonderfully funky jacket.  Plus, I just love my painted maxi dress, so why not fill a closet with painted pieces?  The lining will be a gold Bemberg rayon.  I wanted subtle since I didn’t want it to compete with the exterior.  Now to find a 28″ separating zipper to match.  I’ve looked several places already to no avail.  Any suggestions?

14 thoughts on “Sewing Along: The Minoru Jacket

• Amy says:

I can’t wait to see it come together, either! But, with all that I’m juggling right now, I don’t think I’ll get ahead of the Sew-Along, which means I won’t have a completed coat until the middle of February. I’ll just have to keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue!

• Amy says:

Thanks for the link. I can’t seem to get it to play on my computer. I’ll have to try again when I have more time. Would it be terrible to start with an episode of season two to see if I like the show?

• Kristin says:

When I watch the episodes on there, it’s very start-and-stop on my computer…I don’t know if that’s the same problem you’re having.

No, it wouldn’t be terrible. =) You could get a good feel for the characters (most of the ones from season 1 are still there, and there are only a few new additions) and the basic plot. But there would be some background information missing that might make certain things confusing.

1. Amy says:

I’ve bought several zippers at and really like the quality–better than what I can find at the craft store. Their #5 separating zipper would be a good one, and comes in a bunch of lengths and a gazillion colors. (I think they’re about $2.) You can choose between plastic or metal teeth.

2. Sharon says:

Love your fabric and I have also joined the Minoru sew along and have ordered my zips from Looks like we are both putting the Minoru in our SWAP as well.

• Amy says:

Thanks Sharon! It’s going to be fun sewing both the Minoru and the SWAP along with you! It seems like you’ve already made a lot of progress on your SWAP. I’m going to make jeans from the Jalie pattern for my SWAP, too. I hope mine look as good as yours!

3. Stephanie says:

i was going to say zipperstop as well!

you always find such fun fabric. your jacket will be darling. i have other things that i want to make right now, but i think i’ll follow the minoru sewalong as well. did you make a muslin? it seems like the measurements are a bit weird on sewaholic’s patterns, so i might do some adjustments before cutting into my fashion fabric.