The Paco Peralta Blouse: Completed!

April 14, 2012

I finally got up the courage to cut into the one yard of four-ply silk that was meant for my Paco Peralta blouse. I decided to include the shoulder and waist alterations suggested in the Fit Clinic, and I also added length to give me a top I could comfortably wear tucked in or out if I wanted. I again referenced the instructions on Peralta’s blog since I wanted to get everything perfect. I attached the back to the back facing, then quickly stitched the shoulder seams before moving on to the V on the front of the blouse. This bit is the trickiest part of the whole thing. Once you get through it, all that’s left is to hem the sleeves, stitch up the side seams, and then hem the bottom.

Here’s what I did to get a nice V. After stay stitching as recommended on Peralta’s blog, I stitched along the stitching line with very short stitches just near the point of the bottom portion. I then snipped down through the seam allowance to within a thread of the stitching. I pinned all along one side of the V with right sides together. It’s important to match the peak points well with the seam allowance splayed open or you’ll get a bubble at the point. Pin carefully so as to keep the bias from shifting. Then sew from the top down to within a stitch of the peak. Repeat for the other side. This leaves a teeny tiny little hole at the peak, but no one will notice.

I omitted the back zip since my muslin proved that I could easily get the top on and off without it. There’s a lot of ease in this blouse, especially with the bias cut cowl section. And, since the back center seam line wasn’t shaped much, I just cut it on the fold, omitting the seam allowances.

This four-ply silk from FineFabrics.com is a dream to work with. It’s heavy and not slippery at all. It plays well with the light. My husband tried to catch me walking to show off just how the blouse looks in motion, but none of the pictures were in focus. I still think they look neat, so I’ve included one anyway.

I knew I wanted to make this cowl-necked blouse for the Sew Weekly city theme. The upside down V that joins the bias cowl section to the rest of the blouse reminded me of the iconic Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco. Upside down, of course.

San Francisco is probably better known for its Golden Gate Bridge, but of the buildings that make up its skyline, the Transamerica Pyramid stands as the tallest and most distinct skyscraper. You can read my Sew Weekly post here.

This blouse is the eighth completed garment for my SWAP. The end is soon, and I’m not on pace to finish, but I have had fun playing along and look forward to completing my last three SWAP garments sometime soon even if not be the deadline.

1. April 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Oh, this is so pretty! I really like it!

2. April 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Lovely and thank you for the construction notes. I might have to give it a try ….

3. April 15, 2012 2:22 am

Nicely done- so classic and soft looking.

4. April 15, 2012 5:34 am

Well done! This looks like a great blouse – simple, classy, but not at all boring. The fabric looks dreamy. I’m sure it will be a joy to wear.

5. sophie permalink
    April 15, 2012 9:13 am

wow it looks great! it must be perfect for a warm weather wedding :)

6. stephanie u. permalink
    April 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Beautiful top, Amy! I love the details. I bet that silk is a dream to wear.

7. April 17, 2012 4:37 am

Great !! Love it

8. April 17, 2012 10:44 am

Impressed with how dutiful you’ve been about your SWAP — how wonderful to have a mix-and-match wardrobe. And what a lovely addition — silk and a bias piece, not for the faint of heart. Nice work :)

And I love the inside of that bombshell dress!

[Fingers crossed my comment will finally work!]

• April 17, 2012 11:12 am

I’ve been having a hard time commenting on Blogger blogs as well. Hmmm…

9. April 17, 2012 12:11 pm

That’s going to be such a work horse of a top. It’s lovely, not too fussy or casual, in a colour like that you can wear it with so much. It is a great choice for an investment fabric.

10. April 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Ooh, I love the grey, nice on your eyes. This has a pretty and subtle cowl. I bet 4-ply silk is a dream to sew.

11. April 19, 2012 8:07 am

As usual, a very well-made and classy garment. The pyramid was a clue at a recent pub quiz we went to… of course, I remember the city (answer) as soon as my team mate started walking toward the emcee :)

12. Sewing Princess permalink
    May 4, 2012 11:35 am

Love your version! the color you chose is gorgeous. I now want to go back to San Fran…

1. Sewing with a Plan: The Final Tally « Sew Well