Tuesdays with Gertie: The Completed Bombshell Dress

This summer I’m sewing along with Gertie from Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing.  A bunch of other talented seamsters and I have joined up to make perfectly fitted bombshell dresses using Gertie’s Sew Retro Perfect Bombshell Dresses class. This post marks its completion.

After posting every week about my progress on this dress, I’m not sure what more to really say about it. The good:  I like the color and that it has dragons on the inside, I like that it really does makes me feel like a bombshell, and I like that I learned so much during the process.

The bad:  despite going into this class with the anticipation of making a “perfectly fitted bombshell dress”, the fit isn’t perfect.  I wouldn’t blame the class or the instructor though.  I’ve never attempted anything like this dress, and I think my skills were too novice to pull off “perfect”.  As notes to a future me attempting this pattern again, next time take out just a little bit of the length that you added to the bodice.  I overcompensated for my long waist just a wee bit too much, and I think it led to the horizontal wrinkles in the bodice.  (It’s taken all of my willpower not to rip the skirt off the bodice and resew it just a bit higher.)  Next time fit the cups using a dress form that’s been padded out to match yourself (or, better yet, make yourself one of these – for some reason I think they’re so cool!).  The cups work as is, but they could also use a tad bit more fabric.  Next time add just a little bit to the side seams to account for the multiple layers of fabric and bones that will be in the final dress.  And, next time make sure the bones actually go from the bottom seam to the top seam.  No more eyeballing when cutting the spiral steel boning!  (Also, think about perhaps interlining your lining, so that you can make channels for the bones by stitching together the two fabrics.)

And, though I’m a big fan of Clint, there’s thankfully no ugly to speak of.  In fact, there’s even more good!  A close up of my favorite part, the skirt draping:

And, a view of the back:

I’m thrilled I made it through my first Craftsy class, and I now have my very own handmade bombshell dress.  Thank you, Gertie!

Hooray!

Though the bombshell dress might be finished, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to sewing well.  I plan to continue my Tuesday with Gertie series, only now I’ll be working my way through Gertie’s second Craftsy class, Sew Retro:  The Starlet Suit Jacket.  I’m going to start a bit more slowly than Gertie does since I want to make a muslin and Gertie moves pretty quickly into cutting the fashion fabric.  This first coming week will be a baby step:  print and tape together the pattern.

Signed up for either of Gertie’s classes but haven’t yet started?  Join me!

Check out the progress Petite Mess has been able to make these past few weeks on her bombshell dress. She’s got the right idea about fitting.

Haven’t yet signed up for the class, but would if you could get a discount? Contact me.

Happy sewing!

Update: I always forget to mention that a garment was part of my SWAP. This dress was actually completed item number nine.

53 thoughts on “Tuesdays with Gertie: The Completed Bombshell Dress

1. Bold Sewist says:

The colour is so pretty on you – and those tips will be great when I get round to making my own – I signed up for the class a while ago but haven’t quite managed to do it yet. One day!

2. Joanne says:

Wow Amy you look awesome! I love the gathering at the skirt and the colour is gorgeous on you. Really truly stunning – well done. I’m so impressed!

3. Jennifer says:

This turned out beautifully! That color looks wonderful on you and the skirt drape is lovely. Very well done!

4. sallie says:

Yay! Congratulations! You did it!! You look so beautiful in your bombshell dress. The color is just wonderful on you. That dress really is a miracle at making you feel like, well, a bombshell! I can’t wait to follow along with your starlet suit jacket – I didn’t buy this class yet because its just the terribly wrong season for suit jackets here in SE Texas! But I’m excited to read your thoughts.

• Amy says:

The funny thing is that by the time I finish the jacket, it’s likely to be the hottest time of the year here – August and September. It’s always cooler at night here though.

• Amy says:

I’ve never done any real hand tailoring before, so the jacket should be a good course for me. Hopefully it’ll translate into fun blog posts for all of you!

5. Crystal says:

Your dress looks gorgeous and I’m really impressed with your SWAP sewing accomplishments. Reminds me to take it one step at a time.

6. Evelyne says:

You look stunning in this dress – you should be proud, I would be. You’ve done an amazing job and I’m sure you’ve learnt heaps on the way.

• Amy says:

Thanks! Yes, I have learned quite a lot in the last many months. It’s crazy to think forward and wonder what I might know ten years from now!

• Tia Dia says:

I do have some Liberty tana lawn that’s been calling for a bombshell treatment, but I always get hung up on the wearability-in-real-life factor!

7. whatsupcupcake says:

Beautiful dress! The draping is perfect! I need to look into the bombshell class… I’ve thought about taking it but it would definitely force me to slow down a bit.

• Amy says:

The amount it slows you down will depend on how much time you can devote to the class. I found a little bit at a time was what worked for me. But, I watched Oona make her bombshell dress in a weekend!

8. aleah says:

Gorgeous! And thanks for all the tips too. I hope mine turns out half as well when I get around to it… really glad those craftsy courses never expire :)

9. Amy says:

So beautiful, and I love this color on you. It’s been a pleasure to follow along with your process on this. I hope you find an occasion to wear it–just stunning!

10. Mariló says:

I love it! I think you look great. I love the drapey skirt! Thanks for all the tips you’ve shared.

• Amy says:

The skirt is definitely my favorite part. When I was upset with the bodice, the entire dress was almost reduced to just the skirt. Maybe one day I’ll make just the skirt…

• Amy says:

Thank you! You’re actually a big reason that I attempted the SWAP this year. I first heard about it on your blog, and I figured I could gain quite a lot by joining in. It was a little much for my schedule and experience, but I’m happy I stuck with it. And, as I expected, you put quite a wonderful SWAP together yourself. Thank you for the inspiration!

11. Caffy says:

Hello! I have just started making this dress and your ‘Tuesday’ sessions have really inspired me! I need it made within a month, so I am just getting the bodice fit right and then I will be hot to trot! Just making my second muslin today… I hope this bleeding works!

Thank you for your lovely blog, its truly lovely

Bundana x

12. Sophia says:

Very beautiful color on you and the fit is really, very good (we’re always so critical). One of the best parts about sewing (other than the pretty things we get to wear) is that there are lots of lessons to be learned after each project. Congratulations on finishing this!

13. amynxdx says:

I’m over a year late to this game but I’m in the middle of making this dress. I love the color you chose and it does look great :) I was going to add a bit extra length to mine, but maybe I should only do 1/2 inch instead of 1 inch. Thanks for the tip! The bust cups are driving me insane!! They are hard to tackle!