Tuesdays with Gertie: The Completed Bombshell Dress

May 1, 2012

This summer I’m sewing along with Gertie from Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing.  A bunch of other talented seamsters and I have joined up to make perfectly fitted bombshell dresses using Gertie’s Sew Retro Perfect Bombshell Dresses class. This post marks its completion.

After posting every week about my progress on this dress, I’m not sure what more to really say about it. The good:  I like the color and that it has dragons on the inside, I like that it really does makes me feel like a bombshell, and I like that I learned so much during the process.

The bad:  despite going into this class with the anticipation of making a “perfectly fitted bombshell dress”, the fit isn’t perfect.  I wouldn’t blame the class or the instructor though.  I’ve never attempted anything like this dress, and I think my skills were too novice to pull off “perfect”.  As notes to a future me attempting this pattern again, next time take out just a little bit of the length that you added to the bodice.  I overcompensated for my long waist just a wee bit too much, and I think it led to the horizontal wrinkles in the bodice.  (It’s taken all of my willpower not to rip the skirt off the bodice and resew it just a bit higher.)  Next time fit the cups using a dress form that’s been padded out to match yourself (or, better yet, make yourself one of these – for some reason I think they’re so cool!).  The cups work as is, but they could also use a tad bit more fabric.  Next time add just a little bit to the side seams to account for the multiple layers of fabric and bones that will be in the final dress.  And, next time make sure the bones actually go from the bottom seam to the top seam.  No more eyeballing when cutting the spiral steel boning!  (Also, think about perhaps interlining your lining, so that you can make channels for the bones by stitching together the two fabrics.)

And, though I’m a big fan of Clint, there’s thankfully no ugly to speak of.  In fact, there’s even more good!  A close up of my favorite part, the skirt draping:

And, a view of the back:

I’m thrilled I made it through my first Craftsy class, and I now have my very own handmade bombshell dress.  Thank you, Gertie!

Hooray!

Though the bombshell dress might be finished, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to sewing well.  I plan to continue my Tuesday with Gertie series, only now I’ll be working my way through Gertie’s second Craftsy class, Sew Retro:  The Starlet Suit Jacket.  I’m going to start a bit more slowly than Gertie does since I want to make a muslin and Gertie moves pretty quickly into cutting the fashion fabric.  This first coming week will be a baby step:  print and tape together the pattern.

Signed up for either of Gertie’s classes but haven’t yet started?  Join me!

Check out the progress Petite Mess has been able to make these past few weeks on her bombshell dress. She’s got the right idea about fitting.

Haven’t yet signed up for the class, but would if you could get a discount? Contact me.

Happy sewing!

Update: I always forget to mention that a garment was part of my SWAP. This dress was actually completed item number nine.

1. May 1, 2012 7:28 am

The colour is so pretty on you – and those tips will be great when I get round to making my own – I signed up for the class a while ago but haven’t quite managed to do it yet. One day!

• May 3, 2012 5:56 pm

It’s a great class. Even if you just watch for the tips on lapped zippers, waist stays, and invisible hems.

2. May 1, 2012 7:37 am

Wow Amy you look awesome! I love the gathering at the skirt and the colour is gorgeous on you. Really truly stunning – well done. I’m so impressed!

• May 3, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks! Those are my two favorite features as well.

3. Jennifer permalink
    May 1, 2012 7:56 am

This turned out beautifully! That color looks wonderful on you and the skirt drape is lovely. Very well done!

• May 3, 2012 5:57 pm

Thank you! It’s been fun watching you pop up so often over on the Sew Weekly.

4. May 1, 2012 8:02 am

It is BEAUTIFUL! Omg. You look gorgeous in it. That color is perfect on you.

• May 3, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks! You’ve been rocking some beautiful garments as well. Inside and out!

5. LLBB permalink
    May 1, 2012 8:14 am

stunning! well done.

6. May 1, 2012 9:39 am

Yay! Congratulations! You did it!! You look so beautiful in your bombshell dress. The color is just wonderful on you. That dress really is a miracle at making you feel like, well, a bombshell! I can’t wait to follow along with your starlet suit jacket – I didn’t buy this class yet because its just the terribly wrong season for suit jackets here in SE Texas! But I’m excited to read your thoughts.

• May 3, 2012 6:00 pm

The funny thing is that by the time I finish the jacket, it’s likely to be the hottest time of the year here – August and September. It’s always cooler at night here though.

7. May 1, 2012 10:28 am

Oh, Amy, this is gorgeous! You truly look like a bombshell! The color is perfect, and it really fits you well! This is absolutely stunning!

• May 3, 2012 6:00 pm

Thank you! I’ve been enjoying your MMM daily posts.

8. May 1, 2012 11:52 am

Absolutely gorgeous, Amy! I’ve enjoyed reading your experience with this class and look forward to following along with the jacket.

• May 3, 2012 6:01 pm

I’ve never done any real hand tailoring before, so the jacket should be a good course for me. Hopefully it’ll translate into fun blog posts for all of you!

9. Crystal permalink
    May 1, 2012 2:45 pm

Your dress looks gorgeous and I’m really impressed with your SWAP sewing accomplishments. Reminds me to take it one step at a time.

• May 3, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks! Yes, one step at a time. One very baby step!

10. May 1, 2012 3:11 pm

You look stunning in this dress – you should be proud, I would be. You’ve done an amazing job and I’m sure you’ve learnt heaps on the way.

• May 3, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks! Yes, I have learned quite a lot in the last many months. It’s crazy to think forward and wonder what I might know ten years from now!

11. May 1, 2012 4:13 pm

Just beautiful! You should be proud of this dress. It’s wonderful!

• May 3, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks! It’s fun to have finished the class finally. Any thoughts on making another bombshell dress yourself?

• May 4, 2012 9:38 am

I do have some Liberty tana lawn that’s been calling for a bombshell treatment, but I always get hung up on the wearability-in-real-life factor!

12. whatsupcupcake permalink
    May 1, 2012 9:42 pm

Beautiful dress! The draping is perfect! I need to look into the bombshell class… I’ve thought about taking it but it would definitely force me to slow down a bit.

• May 3, 2012 6:26 pm

The amount it slows you down will depend on how much time you can devote to the class. I found a little bit at a time was what worked for me. But, I watched Oona make her bombshell dress in a weekend!

13. May 2, 2012 1:05 am

Gorgeous! And thanks for all the tips too. I hope mine turns out half as well when I get around to it… really glad those craftsy courses never expire :)

• May 3, 2012 7:03 pm

Seriously. I’ll likely be looking up little details years from now!

14. May 2, 2012 9:10 am

So beautiful, and I love this color on you. It’s been a pleasure to follow along with your process on this. I hope you find an occasion to wear it–just stunning!

• May 3, 2012 7:03 pm

I have several weddings to attend this summer. I’m hoping to wear it to at least one of them!

15. May 2, 2012 11:18 am

Beautiful, Amy!

16. Mariló permalink
    May 2, 2012 1:10 pm

I love it! I think you look great. I love the drapey skirt! Thanks for all the tips you’ve shared.

• May 3, 2012 7:05 pm

The skirt is definitely my favorite part. When I was upset with the bodice, the entire dress was almost reduced to just the skirt. Maybe one day I’ll make just the skirt…

17. May 2, 2012 2:41 pm

Super job!

18. Penny permalink
    May 2, 2012 2:42 pm

Good on you completing the dress it is lovely.

• May 3, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks. I’m very glad I saw this dress through to the end.

19. May 2, 2012 3:20 pm

Oh wow, the dress is stunning an looks gorgeous on you. I’m v tempted to.improve my meagre skills with a class x

• May 3, 2012 7:09 pm

You should! The Craftsy classes are great in that they are all online, and they never expire.

20. May 2, 2012 5:57 pm

You should be very proud of yourself. Your dress is beautiful, and you look beautiful in it. Great job!

21. May 7, 2012 9:44 am

HELLO BOMBSHELL!!

you look about nine feet tall in this!!!

22. May 8, 2012 11:24 am

Gorgeous! The color makes your eyes just pop! I love the notes to self (that’s why we blog these endeavors).

23. May 9, 2012 10:31 am

congratulations on a job well done! You look spectacular in your beautifully sewn Bombshell Dress!! And your SWAP at Stitchers Guild is really stellar, too!

• May 9, 2012 12:19 pm

Thank you! You’re actually a big reason that I attempted the SWAP this year. I first heard about it on your blog, and I figured I could gain quite a lot by joining in. It was a little much for my schedule and experience, but I’m happy I stuck with it. And, as I expected, you put quite a wonderful SWAP together yourself. Thank you for the inspiration!

24. May 13, 2012 5:43 am

Gorgeous! Your bombshell fits beautifully and the blue looks so great on you.

25. May 14, 2012 1:16 am

Hello! I have just started making this dress and your ‘Tuesday’ sessions have really inspired me! I need it made within a month, so I am just getting the bodice fit right and then I will be hot to trot! Just making my second muslin today… I hope this bleeding works!

Thank you for your lovely blog, its truly lovely

Bundana x

26. June 16, 2012 6:36 am

Very beautiful color on you and the fit is really, very good (we’re always so critical). One of the best parts about sewing (other than the pretty things we get to wear) is that there are lots of lessons to be learned after each project. Congratulations on finishing this!

27. August 26, 2013 7:03 am

I’m over a year late to this game but I’m in the middle of making this dress. I love the color you chose and it does look great :) I was going to add a bit extra length to mine, but maybe I should only do 1/2 inch instead of 1 inch. Thanks for the tip! The bust cups are driving me insane!! They are hard to tackle!

1. Tuesdays with Gertie: Starting on the Starlet Suit « Sew Well