Tuesdays with Gertie: Starting on the Starlet Suit

May 8, 2012

This year I’m sewing along with Gertie from Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing.  A bunch of other talented seamsters and I have joined up through the Craftsy online community to make her Starlet Suit.  This post marks the beginning of the saga.

I’m now moving on to Gertie’s second Craftsy course without missing a beat. I thought about resting a week after completing the bombshell dress, but I like having a weekly mini-goal to accomplish for these classes. I’m one of those people who loved school, and it’s been fun to have “homework” each week.

My goal for this week was to get the pattern pieces ready for the Sew Retro: The Starlet Suit Jacket course. I accomplished my mission, but not in the hour I anticipated.  Between the jacket and the skirt there are a lot of pattern pieces.  Instead of just going ahead and cutting my size, I cut around all of the sizes for each.  I want to have all of my options available these next few weeks when I’m testing fit.  I’m hoping fit will be as simple as grading between sizes as necessary.  We shall see…

One note for those of you who’ve signed up for this class but have yet to start, I found three pattern pieces that were mislabeled in size.  The jacket side front (pattern piece 2), the jacket front lining (pattern piece 15), and the skirt side front (also pattern piece 2) are all marked with the smallest size as the largest and on from there.  If I’d been simply cutting out my size willy nilly, I might not have noticed until it was too late, which would have been a drag because the whole process had already taken up so much paper, tape, and time as is.  Keep an eye out, kids.

Next week I hope to have the muslin pieces cut out, thread traced, and hopefully stitched together.  Then, it’s on to fitting.  Has anyone else already gone through this class?  Any tips about fitting that would be helpful to know before I cut my muslin?

1. May 8, 2012 7:41 am

i wonder if those pattern pieces tripped k line up? she has gone THROUGH it, don’t know if you’ve seen her progress. her suit is gorgeous and the definition of “labor of love”.

• May 8, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks! I’d been to her blog ages ago, but I hadn’t been following her recently. She has now been added to my blog reader, and after looking over her last few jackets posts, I have to admit that I’m getting a bit nervous. I was only planning on doing a muslin to check fit using the bare minimum of pieces. I now wonder if I should go through the whole process (sans all the crazy hand work) before cutting into my fashion fabric. What a drag to cut into such lovely silk to find that the pattern pieces are whack.

• May 10, 2012 7:42 pm

And now you’ve been added to mine! I did note those pattern pieces were off – though not as quickly as you! I wish you a great experience of putting this together. I will be watching with excitement.

2. May 8, 2012 8:20 am

You are my craftsy class sheroe! So much dedication! Reading K line’s post have kinda scared me a bit.

3. May 8, 2012 9:24 am

Wow, you are such a trooper! I can’t WAIT to see your suit– I know it will be amazing! Ditto what Oona said– K-Line’s suit is to die for!

• May 8, 2012 9:45 am

I’m planning on going through the process slowly week by week, just like I did with the bombshell dress. I imagine I won’t be finished with the suit until August or September. It’s a bit crazy to think about working on something that long, but it works better in my schedule than a mind numbing two weeks of crazy.

• May 8, 2012 9:47 am

That sounds like a good plan. I think you can lose some of the joy in sewing and get a bit sloppy when you’re rushing to finish, so even though you may be working on this for a while, you’ll end up with great results and hopefully no burnout. The tortoise approach, right? Sometimes sewing hares like myself end up really, really sorry that we rushed!

4. May 8, 2012 12:54 pm

Good for you for signing up for this class right after your bombshell dress (which I loved!). A jacket is a lot of work but I have full faith that you can do it!

It’s funny you say that you have mini-goals each week because so do I. I am the post-it queen and I am constantly making mini-goals until I finish my main goal. I think it’s the best way to work – doing a little here and doing a little there

5. May 8, 2012 1:51 pm

That’s a beautiful suit – you’ll learn a lot from doing this class, I’m sure. Good pick up on the pattern pieces!!

6. Angela permalink
    May 8, 2012 6:47 pm

I am glad you are doing this next, I have made the bombshell and have started watching the Starlet jacket videos and am looking forward to it. I haven’t yet found my fashion fabric, and have also been reading k lines blog which has put me off a little, not enough not to attempt it though!! Soooo, I will be very interested in how you get on.

7. May 9, 2012 3:01 am

I’ve joined this class also, but I think I won’t start till autumn. I can’t wait to see your progress!

8. May 10, 2012 5:00 am

I’m so sad I didn’t buy this class when they were way on sale. Shoot. I just looked at K-Line’s finished version and it’s incredible.

I like how you take your time with these kinds of projects and still finish other pieces in the meantime. I need to do something similar.

• May 10, 2012 10:58 am

Keep your eye out. Sales pop up frequently. At least now it’s regularly priced at $40. I still think you’ll be able to find it for $25 though if you are patient.

9. May 10, 2012 10:48 am

“I’m one of those people who loved school”. ME TOO. I love learning, and homework, and deadlines. It’s hard to be self-paced about it but you’ve found such a great way of doing these classes. It’ll be fun following you along in this. I think you’ll get a great fit–with a jacket it often takes a few muslins to get right but so worth the result in the end!

p.s. love your new header font!

• May 10, 2012 10:52 am

I’m glad you like the new font since I trust your eye with these things. I wanted something bolder, and this one felt very crafty to me.

1. Tuesdays with Gertie: Cutting and Thread Tracing « Sew Well