My Mood in July: Vibrant Red

July 19, 2012

When I tried on the muslin for the freebie skirt pattern that came with the Starlet Suit class, it reminded me of a favorite ready-to-wear skirt in my closet (seen paired with my Renfrew cowl here).  I was dying to make it up in a rainbow of colors before my conference last week, but it turns out that properly preparing for a work conference limits one’s sewing time.  But, once I was back from the conference and needed nothing more than some downtime to let all of the science sink in, the first thing I did was pull out the pattern and a fabulous Carolina Herrera red Italian linen-rayon-silk blend that I received from Mood this month.  Within hours I had this skirt.

The linen has this lovely texture to it that really gives it some life. Mixed in the multiple layers of red is also a little bit of natural linen. I think the little pops of ivory in the skirt will pair well with the ivory of my jacket. Eventually.  And, it being a linen blended with rayon and silk, it doesn’t wrinkle quite as badly as linen typically does. Win, win!

After a day of wearing this skirt out and about, it definitely does remind me of that favorite skirt of mine.  Plus, it’s flattering while still allowing for enough flexibility to easily bike commute to work.The pattern has already been tucked away someplace safe for future use. I may yet make that rainbow of skirts…

Even though this skirt came together quickly, I still went through my typical effort of trying to “sew well”. I handpicked a side lapped zipper. I attached the waistband with invisible fell stitches. I attached the hook and eye at the waistband with the perfect little knots I learned from Susan Khalje’s The Couture Dress class. I serged all of the seam allowances. I reinforced my hand stitches by coating my thread with beeswax where needed. The only shortcut I took was to machine blind stitch the hem. I figured the machine stitches would get lost in the nubby fabric, so why not?

I even added a full lining using ivory silk crepe de chine, also from Mood.  While it’s my favorite little detail (funny how we like the little things that no one else is going to see), it does contain the one major mistake I made.  I cut the lining out using the exact same pattern pieces as the red linen, thinking that I would just shorten it later.  Then I didn’t.  Instead, I just turned up the hem twice and stitched along the top fold.  When I held up the finished skirt, there the lining was just barely peeking out from underneath the fashion fabric.  My solution:  turn up the hem on the lining one more time and stitch along the new top fold.  There’s an extra line of stitching from the original hem, but my guess is that I’m the only one who will ever notice.

Now, which color to choose for my next skirt?!

1. July 19, 2012 8:19 am

I love this skirt. Lovely style and colour.

2. Shams permalink
    July 19, 2012 8:43 am

Beautiful, Amy! And you’re right, no one is going to notice that teeny weeny mistake.

3. July 19, 2012 8:49 am

lovely… as always you are the picture of perfect breezy chic. and you have such an eye for picking online beauties (that didn’t sound right). every time i get something in a box it’s never what i expected!

4. July 19, 2012 8:52 am

It’s beautiful! Perfect for a summer day…and I suggest blue for the next version of this skirt!

5. July 19, 2012 9:13 am

Love the cut and drape! I also took The Couture Dress class, and I now hand-sew more than I ever thought I would. It just makes a better garment. Good to be in such talented company!

6. July 19, 2012 9:50 am

Great problem solving there at the end, a good creative solution, and it the skirt is lovely

7. July 19, 2012 10:05 am

I love that color! It looks great. =)

8. July 19, 2012 10:07 am

It looks beautiful! And every color of the rainbow would match your jacket I bet.

9. July 19, 2012 10:12 am

Gorgeous skirt! I’m sure it wears like a dream with the silk lining!

10. July 19, 2012 10:36 am

Wow! That is lovely. Great colour on you too.
    Perhaps a nice medium green for another one? :)

11. July 19, 2012 11:02 am

Really, really, REALLY pretty! I love this!

12. July 19, 2012 11:15 am

Such a pretty skirt. Your efforts to sew well are really showing, it looks perfect!

13. LLBB permalink
    July 19, 2012 11:28 am

cute! and really cool fabric. nice to hear that the skirt pattern worked out great given that that the jacket didn’t so much!

14. Jennifer permalink
    July 19, 2012 11:58 am

Very pretty!! As you mentioned the fall Pantone colors a while ago, maybe Olympian Blue or Rose Smoke? Of course, this is one of those styles that will look great in any color.

15. July 19, 2012 12:16 pm

This is gorgeous Amy, and oh so flattering on you! The fabric looks exquisite – I love the colour and it’s tweedy look.

16. July 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Great fabric and a perfect fit. Looks wonderful on you.

17. July 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Red is amazing on you! That skirt is really fabulous. A rainbow of them is definitely required!

18. July 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Very pretty! I love the flecks of ivory amongst the red – gives it a great texture!

19. July 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Great skirt pattern and what an amazing fabric blend. Looks beautiful!!!!

20. July 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello sassy fabrics! This is fantastic and the lining with silk- a decadent finish. Loves it!

21. July 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Orange! Just work your way through the rainbow…
    Seriously this skirt looks so good on you it would be a crime not to have one in every color. Such a beautiful fabric choice too! It will look lovely with your ivory jacket.

22. July 19, 2012 5:39 pm

I love red and can wear it all year long :) Next skirt should be yellow!

23. July 19, 2012 5:50 pm

I love this skirt! I’ve really been wanting to make a red skirt myself, but I don’t have any red fabric in my stash and I’m trying to be good… Nice to know about the linen/rayon/silk combo too – I have a green linen/rayon blend in my stash that I’ve been meaning to use. And I was just thinking today how it’s so important to have a good quality lining since it’s the part of the outfit that should feel the nicest right next to your skin! Great job, and what about lavender next? :)

24. July 20, 2012 6:47 am

That fabric is TO DIE FOR. you are totally inspiring me to do a Mood order – it’s not as expensive as I imagined. And you are also reminding me to take a little more care in the finishing of my garments…. Too easy to be lazy when you just want a finished product.

25. July 21, 2012 4:37 am

Beautiful, Amy! What color next?……..tweed for fall?

26. July 21, 2012 10:24 pm

the A-line is my favorite pattern for skirt. Your is beautiful!

27. July 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Very pretty color, and I love the asphalt-and-bare-feet styling. :)

28. July 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Linen-silk-rayon sounds divine! I love getting fabric from Mood… it’s always nicer than I expect. This is a perfect skirt to keep replicating!

29. July 31, 2012 10:11 am

Omg, that skirt is beautiful. I love simple stylelines paired with gorgeous, unique fabric. You look great.

30. August 3, 2012 11:24 am

I love this color on you, and the fact that you took pictures barefoot! Just thinking about wearing a linen-silk-rayon fabric is making me want to spend money on more fabric to add to my already overflowing fabric stash…

31. May 21, 2013 7:43 am

The skirt is perfect; beautifully made in a lovely color! Did the pattern come with a number as I would love to have it.

• May 21, 2013 7:48 am

The pattern came for free with Gertie’s Sew Retro Starlet Suit Craftsy class. No number, no name. I don’t think it’s available anywhere else. If you haven’t already signed up for the class and don’t plan to, perhaps you could email Gretchen Hirsch of Gertie’s Blog for Better Sewing to ask if she plans on making it available for the public?

32. May 21, 2013 7:51 am

The skirt is absolutely beautiful. Love the color and style

1. Cañada College Meet Up « Sew Well