My Mood in August: Just Add a Bow
After a time intensive make like my mom’s dress, I wanted something quick and easy. What better than a Sewaholic Renfrew with a twist in a silk jersey that I received from Mood. Sadly, I can’t find the fabric online anymore. I blame Goodbye Valentino and her gorgeous dress: how could her readers not buy up the rest of this fabric already?
The twist is the bow I added to the neckline to fancy up this basic T. Now you see it:
Now you don’t:
I got the idea from The Sew Convert‘s Jason Wu Bow Dress. I cut the V neck Renfrew, tripling the width of the neck band to make a mini cowl. I then cut out a long strip of fabric (about twice the length from my elbow to my fingertips) for the bow. When I sewed the neckband onto the top, I put the seam at center back and left a small hole at center front. For the bow I stitched down all three sides, leaving a hole just wide enough for me to turn the tube right side out. After turning the tube and making sure all of the corners were crisp, I slip stitched the hole closed. I can wear the shirt as is with a subtle cowl or slip the band through when I feel like a bow.
I just love the uninterrupted inkblot print on the back.
Best of all, this shirt was made entirely on my serger. Well, almost. I topstitched the neckline with the zigzag stitch on my machine.
And, because I was not going to waste a bit of this heavenly fabric, I used the rest to make a shirt for my sister-in-law.
I wanted to make her the full cowl, but I’d forgotten just how much fabric it requires. I had to really piece the cowl neckband together to get it to work, adding side seams along with the center back seam and piecing one of the back sections after an unfortunate cut. But, I am glad I was able to make it work because I just love the drape of the silk jersey cowl.
I had such little fabric left over at the end that I wasn’t even able to make the full size cuffs for the sleeves. But, again, I don’t mind the change.
All in all I couldn’t be happier with these two shirts. Now on to another time consuming sewing project made from stripes and spots…