Watercolor, Feathers, and a Drop-Waist Dress

December 12, 2012

Jamie Lau, one of the authors of BurdaStyle‘s newest book Sewing Vintage Modern, actually wrote to ask me if I’d make a dress from her book before asking if I’d review the book itself.  Of course I jumped at the opportunity, even though at that point I only knew that the patterns were classic designs from different eras in the 20th century.  Jamie explained that my choices of patterns were a 1920s drop-waist dress, a 1940s men’s shirt, a 1950s gathered-waist dress, or a 1960s stirrup pant; she also let me know that I was free to modify the patterns as I wished.  I ended up choosing the drop-waist dress since I’d been intrigued by the 1920s style ever since I learned about the Gatsby-themed party that happens each year here in San Francisco.  Jamie sent the pattern right over.

IMG_7949 copy

It was only after I’d started the pattern that she asked me if I’d review the book.  The offer came at the perfect time – I was just trying to plan my modifications, and I was eager to see what had been done in the book.  The Louisa Drop-Waist Dress actually only has one major modification described in the book:  the 1960s Jackie Dress (seen here and here).  I wanted to stick with the 1920s style though, so I passed Jackie up and starting toying with simple modifications.  First, I contemplated making a V neck line, but then I didn’t want to lose any of the beautiful watercolor flowers on the silk charmeuse from Mood that I bought for this project with my Mood Sewing Network allowance.  I also debated turning the skirt into a single tier, but I decided against that idea because of the fabric yet again.  I liked how the tiers played up the silk’s abstract print.

IMG_7992 copy

Ultimately, I didn’t make any big modifications to the pattern.  I did swap the facing-lining combination for a full lining and the belt for a row of feather trim along the top tier (similar trim in brown here).  Simple little changes that were again guided by the fabric.

IMG_7985

All in all, I couldn’t be happier.  The pattern and fabric came together into a great dress.  I love how the silk shimmers and dances through the tiers as I walk.  I finally have the 1920s-style dress that I’ve coveted – one with a very “vintage modern” attitude.

If you guys live in or near Brooklyn, Santa Cruz, or San Francisco, check out the upcoming book launch parties this week and next.  And, give a hug to Jamie for me!

This post can also be found on Mood Sewing Network and BurdaStyle. Though I also mentioned it in the text above, I used my MSN allowance towards the purchase of the fabrics, and I received the pattern and book for free from BurdaStyle.

1. December 12, 2012 7:10 am

Truly, truly beautiful. Your makes are always of such a high quality. I have a huge fondness for the 1920s, Gatsby style also.

2. December 12, 2012 7:47 am

What a gorgeous gorgeous dress!

3. December 12, 2012 8:15 am

lovely…

4. December 12, 2012 8:41 am

Absolutely beautiful! My most favorite decade of fashion – your dress must feel fabulous!

5. sewforward permalink
    December 12, 2012 10:25 am

I just got my copy last night and I stayed up (way past my bedtime!) and read through the book. It’s wonderful.
    Your dress is lovely. I am eager to trace off a pattern and get sewing! Your dress is such an inspiration – the fabric is just perfect for this style.

6. misscrayolacreepy permalink
    December 12, 2012 10:40 am

It’s so beautiful!!! I want to sew this dress and then wear it to the movies when I go see Gatsby :)

7. December 12, 2012 10:51 am

Another stunner! I’m such a sucker for watercolor-y prints and this charmeuse is just delightful. Pretty little tiers of silk….

8. December 12, 2012 1:30 pm

This is totally Gatsby appropriate! What a lovely choice of fabric. And feathers? Totally luxe!

9. December 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Amy, your work is always so stunning and well done, and this dress is no exception! That feather trim is a lovely compliment to the abstract silk.

10. December 12, 2012 3:02 pm

So pretty! I love 1920s fashion but unfortunately I can’t pull it off. =)

11. Jenny permalink
    December 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I absolutely adore this dress! It’s definitely one of the most beautiful dresses I’ve seen.

12. December 13, 2012 3:27 am

What a lovely take on a Flapper dress – the feather trim is spectacular.

13. December 13, 2012 6:56 am

Beautiful! That last picture… sigh. The ruffles are so perfect. You look gorgeous in it, as always.

14. Dorothy permalink
    December 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Lovely dress and choice of fabric. I found myself asking, “How are the ruffles finished?” Is it a baby hem?

• December 14, 2012 7:10 am

I used my rolled hem foot for the hem on the tiers. The book suggested serging, turning, and stitching, but I was nervous about serging the silk charmeuse since I’d never used this type of fabric before.

15. August 24, 2013 7:49 pm