Twisted Silk Jersey Maxi Dress

June 20, 2013

IMG_9921 copy

To celebrate the coming arrival of the summer solstice here in the US, what could be better than making a maxi dress out of a luxurious silk jersey from Mood Fabrics?  One of my newfound favorite fabrics draped all over me?  Yes, please!

IMG_9891

I’ve had my eye on Mood’s online silk jersey print section ever since making my silk jersey bow top last summer.  I’m a bit embarrassed to admit I wear that top almost weekly.  While I have a thing for bow tops, I know the reason it’s one of my go-tos is the fabric.  I didn’t want to miss my chance to make another favorite top (or dress!) because a great print sold out before I could get to it.  When I saw the bold print that I used here in Mood’s online silk jersey section, with its blues and grays and little pops of yellow – and with its art deco woman covered in flowers, I was enthralled.  The large size of the repeat suggested it would do well as a dress, and the flowing nature of the print made me want to gather, twist, and drape it all over my dress form as soon as it arrived at my door step. Because I’m still not ready to venture into true draping, I kept looking for a pattern that would match my dress form vision.  Ultimately, I decided it was meant to be BurdaStyle’s Twisted Maxi Dress 02/2013 #115.

IMG_9822

The pattern has a bit of cool twist action that looks complicated but ends up being pretty straightforward to make happen.  I know people say BurdaStyle instructions aren’t always that helpful, but I found the instructions for this pattern to be very informative.  They had plenty of diagrams walking through the parts that could be a bit more complicated.  Basically, after prepping the top front of the dress and the bottom front of the dress separately, the bottom is then threaded through a small hole left in the top, and then the two are carefully stitched together.  That’s really as tricky as the twist gets.  As an aside, part of the prep is to sew a small center front seam that defines how low the V neckline goes, and I’ll admit to more than doubling the suggested length of that seam since the original was scandalously low!

IMG_9875

The twist becomes ties in the back that fall nearly to the ground.  The twist and ties are attached at the side seams, so the secureness of the bow in the back has nothing to do with the tautness of the twist in the front.  Thankfully, the latter is fixed, especially considering how many times I accidentally untied the bow in the back just from sitting down while I was wearing this dress to a wedding in Southern California this past weekend.

IMG_9862

The shoulders have just the right amount of gathers held into place by stitching them to stay tape, and the back has a nice V stabilized by some clever use of self binding.  The armholes are also finished with self binding.  All other seams are either enclosed or serged.

IMG_9923

The silk jersey was a dream to work with throughout all of the gathering, basting, stitching, and serging I did to complete this dress.  And, this dress took mere hours to make from start to finish, which is huge for me because I usually drag things out for days if not weeks!

IMG_9815

If you’ve never sewn with silk jersey, I recommend you give it a try.  If you have sewn with it before, I’d love to hear your successes in the comments.  I want to start plotting my next adventure with this wonderful fabric, and I’m looking for inspiration!

This post can also be found on Mood Sewing Network. I used my MSN allowance towards the purchase of the fabric.

1. June 20, 2013 6:15 am

Great dress. And thanks for posting the link for purchasing the fabric. I really love it!

2. dandeliondrift permalink
    June 20, 2013 6:41 am

This dress is amazing! I want one for myself :) I have never sewn a Burda pattern before, but this one is tempting me.

3. June 20, 2013 6:55 am

This dress is so lovely, and your photos are amazing! Absolutely gorgeous!

4. June 20, 2013 7:26 am

Beautiful dress Amy…..I love it

5. June 20, 2013 7:50 am

What a great fabric choice for a maxi dress! The dress is just beautiful and so is the scenery. Happy Summer Solstice :)

6. June 20, 2013 8:23 am

I would love to give silk jersey a try! It sounds heavenly. Your dress is gorgeous, you couldn’t have picked a better pattern for this fabric!

7. June 20, 2013 8:33 am

I love this Amy. That fabric is just lovely and looks like it would be perfect for Summer. The dress looks really expensive, I never would have assumed you made it. I also love love that back V-neck.

8. June 20, 2013 8:36 am

Its stunning, you picked a really pretty fabric. I’ve never used silk jersey before but I’ll be paying more attention to this fabric type from now on!

9. June 20, 2013 8:40 am

This dress is absolutely gorgeous and you looks great on it. Love your fabric too.

10. June 20, 2013 8:55 am

I love it, you look fantastic, magazine editorial fantastic. perfect choice of fabric. I need to check out that pattern!

11. June 20, 2013 9:04 am

Ooooh, this is lovely! I’m really glad to see this made up, because it caught my eye in the magazine but I’m always too chicken to be the first one to make something up from there – I need to hear people’s reviews on fit first!

12. June 20, 2013 9:40 am

This is gorgeous! I love everything about it – the print – the fabric – the pattern. You’ve made me re-think that Burda pattern.

13. June 20, 2013 10:09 am

Beautiful! I’ve never sewn with silk jersey but now I want to!

14. June 20, 2013 11:16 am

ooh this is lovely – you look so elegant! I’ve just recently started sewing with jersey and am planning a jersey maxi dress for a wedding in a few months so I’ll need to keep this pattern in mind.

15. June 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Beautiful dress! Was it hard to sew? I am just starting to sew with regular silk. What’s silk jersey like?

• June 22, 2013 4:59 am

It’s more like a soft jersey than a slippery silk, in my opinion. Pattern weights and a few silk pins seem to keep everything in line.

16. June 20, 2013 9:43 pm

This is beautiful! I flipped through the Feb Burda at the time, but didn’t notice this pattern – I might have to try it! I haven’t made anything with silk jersey yet, though I have some. I’ve been a bit apprehensive about using it… My big question is how do you wash it? Do you wash your silk jersey garments by hand or in the wash? Drip dry or dryer? I’d love to wear silk but only if it’s not an ordeal to wash it!

• June 22, 2013 4:58 am

Honestly, I throw it into the washer. If I’m feeling super lazy, it even goes into the dryer. It gets lined dried most of the time though. That doesn’t take too much extra effort!

17. June 20, 2013 11:20 pm

I love this dress Amy. You make it look so easy! I considered this pattern for a maxi dress but the design required a rectangle shape so dropped it. I am not sure if my fabric was silk jersey…maybe something along those lines.

18. June 21, 2013 11:00 am

I love this dress. How much fabric did you need for making it?

• June 22, 2013 4:54 am

A lot! It suggests you cut the pieces on the cross grain, but my fabric was too narrow. I think I needed twice my height in fabric to fit everything in!

19. Julie Starr permalink
    June 22, 2013 4:39 am

Simply gorgeous! I’ve been looking for a pattern for my first maxi and just downloaded this one on Thursday so I’m very excited to see yours. How luxurious it must feel in silk jersey!

20. June 24, 2013 7:49 am

Beautiful Beautiful dress!! This totally says ‘summer’ to me! Silk jersey is just dreamy. New goal – sew with more silk jersey!!

21. June 24, 2013 1:54 pm

This is a stunning dress!

22. June 24, 2013 5:09 pm

That’s a really beautiful fabric for a great maxi dress.

23. June 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Amy. I love this dress so, so much. And I’m thrilled to hear it only took you hours – that means it will only take me days! It looks beautiful on you!

24. June 30, 2013 7:54 pm

The dress is beautiful!! You did an amazing job!

25. July 13, 2013 5:00 am

Oh wow, silk jersey! The dress looks very comfy and elegant at the same time. I love the twist!

26. February 10, 2014 4:54 am

Hey, I’m way, way way behind in my reading so I’m not commenting much. But I just had to come t even though a thousand probably have before me. This is totally, totally stunning. Extremely well done.

1. And the Pattern Pyramid Continues! | Sew Well