It’s a Girl! // Resewlution: Keep Sewing with a Little One

BabyGirl

Ladies and gentlemen, I’m pleased to announce that my husband and I welcomed a darling daughter into the world last week.  Yes, despite the fact that the vote was for a boy by a small majority, 14 to 11, she turned out to be a little girl!  I guess I’ll be needing to finish that quilt sooner rather than later after all!

Our little family is doing well. Our daughter is super healthy, and labor and delivery went pretty much as well as I could have hoped.  That’s not to say labor wasn’t hard, but I felt well prepared and well cared for thanks to a fabulous set of midwives and nurses and a wonderful eight-week baby class that my husband and I took leading up to the birth.  And, likely thanks to the power of hormones, by the end of the day she was born, I’d pretty much already forgotten how hard labor truly was.

Now that she’s here, I get to start testing the waters around my first resewlution:  keep sewing once the little one arrives.

resewlution

1. Keep sewing once the little one arrives.
  2. Be more conscious of sewing with fabrics and patterns that flatter and fit my lifestyle.
  3. Move to my own dot com.
  4. Get better connected with the Seattle sewing community.

I can’t imagine any sewing will be going on for the next little bit, but I am hoping I might be able to follow Nicole of Nicole at Home‘s advice about getting the little one used to the whirr of the sewing machine sooner rather than later.  I think the Ziggi Sew-Along being co-hosted Sew Maris and Stacy Sews might be the perfect make-sure-I’m-back-to-sewing-by-then goal.  The end of February sounds attainable, and I already have the pattern and fabric ready to go since the StyleARC Ziggi jacket was on my Spring to-sew list thanks to Shams of Communing with Fabric (see her version here).  We’ll see how things go, but it’s nice to at least have a goal.

Okay, well, back to doting on my newborn!  Happy sewing to the rest of you!

99 thoughts on “It’s a Girl! // Resewlution: Keep Sewing with a Little One

1. Leila says:

Congratulations! I definitely got my kids used to the sound of the sewing machine and now they even know that my fabric shears are only for fabric and have never used them on anything but. Enjoy your babymoon!

2. Barbara J says:

Congratulations! My new granddaughter was also born this week so I join you in spending a huge amount of time gazing at tiny, amazing faces :)

3. K-Line says:

I can’t believe you have the wherewithal to write a post of this complexity at this point after just having had a baby! You’re on the right track :-) And what a gorgeous girl!

4. My Sewing Suite says:

Congratulations! I am glad all went well. You will figure it out, I am tempted about that jacket too but, already have so many things on my to do list..Enjoy the baby.

5. Nothy Lane says:

Congratulations! SHe is beuatiful. Think about all the clothes you will sew for her in the next five years! Rest, be happy and enjoy this time, you won’t believe how quickly it flies.

6. seattlerain says:

Congrats! I second giving yourself 6 weeks to settle in to her rythmns. Sleep when she does! You’ll find plenty of time to sew when she naps later so for now, rest up! I’ll join you in sewing the Ziggi when you get to it!

7. Michelle says:

Congratulations! She’s beautiful! One tip that I have for keeping sewing with a newborn is to A) Wait until you get past the initial severe sleep deprivation phase (~2 weeks), and stick with easy projects for your first couple of projects back (e.g. t-shirts, etc). Jalie makes a great onesie pattern that has some fun options and is pretty easy, too. I think that might have been my first post-baby project, if I remember correctly.

8. Tamsin W-P says:

congratulations – she is lovely! definately get her used to the sound of the sewing machine early – my girls hated that sound of the hoover for years (great excuse for getting out of some of the housework though!)

9. Susan says:

Congrats, she’s lovely! The sewing machine is great white noise for baby. Wrap her up in an Ergo or something similar and enjoy your sewing! Best of luck as you navigate this new life. :)

10. Micki says:

Welcome Little Girl! Congratulations Amy and family! Oh, my. You.Have.A.Baby.Girl. I can see you forgetting about your clothes, and will be sewing for her~! Take some time off from everything and enjoy your baby for as long as you feel right. (which will be forever~! but you know what I mean)

11. Margaret Ridgway says:

Amy

I’ve been following your post for a few months now. This is the first time I’ve followed a sewing type blog and I feel it is so generous of you to take the time to share your thoughts and experiences,

This is very exciting news and I want to wish you and your partner and little one well. You haven’t told us her name though!

Take care and enjoy this little miracle that has come into your life

Best wishes

Margaret Ridgway

12. Jenny Crisp says:

What a lovely little girl, congratulations! And her name is ???

She will be a joy to sew for, lucky you and lucky baby.

13. dietcouture says:

Congratulations on your little girl!! She’s beautiful!! And how fun to be surprised. We were surprised with our little boy as well – it truly is the BEST surprise in life!

14. Katy says:

Congratulations on a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Enjoy your time with her and get her used to the sounds of sewing. My 18mo. old loves the sounds of my machine almost as much as he loves messing with the tension knobs! Btw, I am in Bremerton, just across the Sound from you!

15. poppykettle says:

Oh wow Amy! I’m so very, very happy for you both. She looks like the sweetest little thing. I hope you both enjoy every moment with your new little family. Much love being sent your way from me! xx