Have you seen Sewaholic‘s most recent pattern release, the Saltspring Dress? I was one of the lucky pattern testers, and I fear I’ve lost my job as I couldn’t really find anything off about the pattern.
I tried, too. I double checked all of the notches and walked all the seams, but Tasia does her due diligence. I cut a straight 4, despite my hips falling into the size 0. I figured I wouldn’t worry about the extra at the hips since the skirt is already so gathered. I might grade the hips to a 0 next time just to see what difference it makes. There will be a next time. I already have the fabric for a maxi version. (If you want to join me, you can get the pattern here.)
I made mine in a Liberty of London cotton lawn that I got from Tessuti‘s online remnants section ages ago. Because it was a remnant, I barely had enough to make the knee-length version. In fact, the lining is a white cotton I had in my stash. It doesn’t show though, so no one will be the wiser!
Here are some close ups to show off both the lines of the dress and the beautiful Liberty of London fabric. I just love the scoop of the neckline. Not too sweet, not too plain.
There are no darts. The shaping comes from the clever drafting of the lining and the gathering at the waist. And, look, pockets!
The back closes with a zipper and is constructed in such a way as to keep much of the blousing of the back outer fabric even through the center seam. Though I made sure to match my zipper, I didn’t think to topstitch in a darker thread. Oh well. I’ll say it’s a design feature!
Look at the cute little bow at the shoulder! Though, while I like it, I may just cut the straps to length when I make this dress next.
And, I’ll leave you with the teeniest tiniest little baby bump. I can only imagine how I’ll be laughing about calling this a baby bump after several more months!
UPDATE: My dress was featured on Tessuti’s blog. Pretty cool!