Last you heard, I’d run out of the thread I needed to make my Jalie 2908 jeans. The first two stores I stopped in looking for thread were a bust. The first didn’t have the same shade of gold, and the second was out of the gold entirely. It took me a week or so to make it back out to another sewing store. Although it was driving me crazy that week, it’s likely a very good thing that there are no sewing stores near my house. But even this store let me down. Though it had several shades of gold, none were a match for the one I’d been using. Crazy. I decided it wasn’t meant to be and went ahead bought the closest match.
If you look closely, you can tell that topstitching on the waistband, belt loops, buttonhole, and hem is a slightly different color than that used on the rest of the pants. But, really, who’s going to notice? I bet you can’t tell from the photo above, and, in all honesty, when I put them on this morning, it didn’t even cross my mind.
The jeans fit surprisingly well considering I made them up in my size according to the pattern without any modifications at all. There’s a little too much fabric in the crotch, the waistband gaps a bit, and they are bit baggier than I wanted at the back of my thighs. But, again being honest here, they probably fit just as well as many of my ready-to-wear jeans. Plus, I think it’ll be fun to address those few minor fit issues the next time I make this pattern thanks to the little bit of fitting that Kenneth King went over in his Jean-ius class. Also, I think the waistband gapping issue will be resolved if I simply follow Tanit-Isis‘s yoke modification.
These jeans are my fifth completed 2012 SWAP item to be posted to this blog. Now I just need to make them again as skinnies for one of the six SWAP items I have left. I’m a little behind SWAP schedule, so it’s a good thing jeans come together so quickly!