Jeans!

February 27, 2012

Last you heard, I’d run out of the thread I needed to make my Jalie 2908 jeans.  The first two stores I stopped in looking for thread were a bust.  The first didn’t have the same shade of gold, and the second was out of the gold entirely. It took me a week or so to make it back out to another sewing store.  Although it was driving me crazy that week, it’s likely a very good thing that there are no sewing stores near my house.  But even this store let me down.  Though it had several shades of gold, none were a match for the one I’d been using. Crazy.  I decided it wasn’t meant to be and went ahead bought the closest match.

If you look closely, you can tell that topstitching on the waistband, belt loops, buttonhole, and hem is a slightly different color than that used on the rest of the pants.  But, really, who’s going to notice?  I bet you can’t tell from the photo above, and, in all honesty, when I put them on this morning, it didn’t even cross my mind.

The jeans fit surprisingly well considering I made them up in my size according to the pattern without any modifications at all.  There’s a little too much fabric in the crotch, the waistband gaps a bit, and they are bit baggier than I wanted at the back of my thighs.  But, again being honest here, they probably fit just as well as many of my ready-to-wear jeans.  Plus, I think it’ll be fun to address those few minor fit issues the next time I make this pattern thanks to the little bit of fitting that Kenneth King went over in his Jean-ius class.  Also, I think the waistband gapping issue will be resolved if I simply follow Tanit-Isis‘s yoke modification.

These jeans are my fifth completed 2012 SWAP item to be posted to this blog.  Now I just need to make them again as skinnies for one of the six SWAP items I have left.  I’m a little behind SWAP schedule, so it’s a good thing jeans come together so quickly!

1. February 27, 2012 7:08 am

They look great and if anybody is looking that hard at your crotch area alert your husband lol.

2. February 27, 2012 7:34 am

Thumbs up…beautiful job!

3. February 27, 2012 8:17 am

They look great! =) I am terrified at the thought of sewing jeans.

• February 27, 2012 8:24 am

It was actually really easy. Maybe a skirt would be easier, but I spent way more time with many of my dresses than I did with these pants. If you wear lots of jeans, it’s definitely worth trying out.

4. February 27, 2012 8:20 am

fantastic!!! no one will ever notice that thread difference.

• February 27, 2012 8:24 am

Honestly, they better not! I think they’d be a bit too close for comfort if they did!

5. February 27, 2012 8:20 am

SO. AMAZING! I can’t believe you made JEANS these are awesome! Well done!

• February 27, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks! They’re much easier than they look. The hardest parts were sewing over so many layers (especially with the buttonhole) and getting the bias cut waistband to behave. Kenneth King uses a waistband cut on the cross grain (if I’m remembering correctly), and though it wouldn’t give as much, it might be nice to have a bit of extra stability.

6. PendleStitches permalink
    February 27, 2012 8:36 am

You really cannot see the thread difference. I’ve got jeans on my sewing list for this year and these have inspired me even more. They look better than RTW. Great job.

• February 27, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks! Making jeans was much easier than I expected. Good luck with yours!

• PendleStitches permalink
        February 27, 2012 10:55 am

That gives me hope. RTW are disastrous on me. I need to crack on and get making. I have no excuse as I also got the Palmer Pletsch jeans DVD for Christmas.

7. February 27, 2012 8:51 am

These look so good, Amy. You’d never notice the different thread colors. I’m really impressed with the fit and with just a few minor changes you’d have the perfect jeans. Wonderful job!

• February 27, 2012 10:26 am

Let’s hope it’s just a few minor changes. I think it will be, but we’ll see once I get to making my second pair.

8. February 27, 2012 9:21 am

Great job! And yeah, no one will notice the thread difference, ever. Not even you, by next week.

I think the slight sagginess at the back could be solved by taking in the outseam just a smidge between hips and knee—stretch denims are so variable that this is a pretty common tweak to have to make, even if the pattern fits you perfectly. As for the rear gaping—as far as I can tell the Jalie pattern is drafted to the “flattest common denominator” in terms of bottoms—possibly on purpose, since it’s pretty easy to take a tuck in the yoke during construction, much easier than trying to flatten a too-curvy seat.

I’m curious, did you use the Jalie straight waistband as well? I use it when making pairs for my kids, but for myself I always use a contour waistband swiped from another pattern—straight waistbands are just asking for gaping. :)

• February 27, 2012 10:29 am

I used the waistband as is. Good idea to use a contoured waistband. I’ll consider doing that next time. And, if the bagginess is just a simple taking in of the outseam, that would be an easy fix for even these jeans. Thanks for the tip’

9. February 27, 2012 9:33 am

They look great, I need to make skinnies for daughters soon…

• February 27, 2012 10:30 am

Hooray for more handmade jeans! Good luck with your daughters’ skinnies!

10. February 27, 2012 9:38 am

Well done you! They look great! (And to echo what others have said: can’t see the thread difference, and even if you could, who cares? My favourite RTW jeans use two different thread colours on purpose.)

• February 27, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks! It’s been fun to see you sewing again on your own blog. Hope the job search is going well!

11. February 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Great job – yet again!! Jeans have not been one thing I was ever going to make, but seeing yours might just tempt me into making a pair. We are getting more jean fabric in the shop now and RTW don’t suit me. Oh – the thread, truly I didn’t notice until you pointed it out. Yes – definitely make another pair.

• February 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks Evelyne! And, I’m going to get to your award soon. I just have a lot of back logged posts to get through first. It’s going to be a heavy post week!

12. February 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Fab jeans Amy. Brilliant job and if you hadn’t told us about the thread we probably wouldn’t have noticed anyway! I really need to get those Jalie’s – have been wanting to for ages but you know how that list of wanna-sews grows.

• February 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Yes, I definitely know. My list is out of control right now!

13. February 27, 2012 4:22 pm

These definitely look RTW, if not better! They fit you very well while still looking comfortable :) Good job!

14. February 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Yay! Great job, Amy, and such a good fit on the first go. I’d definitely be interested to see how you skinnify them. And I’m not sure I get bias-cut waistbands–none of my RTW jeans have them and they seem to stretch fine enough without being on the bias. And ALL my jeans have waist gapping, which I look forward to correcting some day in my own jeans. But check you out–the SWAP has definitely been a great motivator for you!

• February 28, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, next time I might try something different for the waistband. Kenneth King cuts his on the cross grain from what I remember. And, I’ll be sure to post how I alter them, and then we can judge how successful the method was!

15. February 28, 2012 6:09 am

Awesome! Love the stylized A on the back pockets. And really, the thread is a design element. That is, if anyone even notices, which they won’t. My RTW jeans utilize different threads.

• February 28, 2012 9:55 am

Yeah, I got really into Copperplate calligraphy during wedding planning and loved the A that I was taught. I miss the bold downstrokes you get from calligraphy (note to self: the downstroke might be neat as a double line of top stitching), but I love the letter itself. I hope to make a pair of jeans for my 4’10″ neighbor using the Jean-ius class, and I might do a fancy L for her since her name starts with L. Can’t beat personalized jeans, right?

16. February 28, 2012 9:29 am

These look amazing, Amy! No one is going to notice the thread at all – people never study garments closely. They’ll just say, “Wow! Those jeans look fabulous on you! Where did you get them?” Because, seriously, you they look so RTW on you. Well done!

• February 28, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks! It’s fun having a new pair of jeans. Biking to work has been hard on many of my ready-to-wear pairs.

17. February 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Whoa! These look amazing (and definitely fit you way better than RTW jeans ever fit me)! I’m honestly astonished by how great these look! You win today’s Gold Star Award, in my book! Great job!

18. February 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Those are so cute! Much nicer than many of the jeans I see at many stores. Great work!

19. March 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Your jeans look great! It really makes me want to go ahead and try making a pair myself. Great job!

20. April 8, 2012 10:45 pm

These look awesome! Better than store bought. Great job! And the top-stitching looks fine.

1. LIZZY INTERRUPTED : Daughter Fish