Party! Pajama Party!

April 28, 2012

This April I’m sewing along with Karen of Didyoumakethat and a bunch of other talented seamsters. We’re all making pajama bottoms, and this post marks its completion.

Why hello there!  What’s that?  You want to know what I’m wearing to the party?  The pajama party?

• Top:  A thrifted T that proudly states “fresh up” with 7up
  • Bottoms: Pajamas made by me from McCall’s M5249 in mere hours for The Pyjama Party!
  • Book:  A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin (Technically, I’m not wearing a book, but Karen is adamant about knowing what we’re reading these days.)

(My cousin had fun with a style post earlier this week, so I figured I’d follow suit.)

You guys, pajamas are easy peasy.  Even with fiddly French seams.  My poor Mom is now going to be lacking a Christmas present to hand out on Christmas Eve since I’m going to call dibs on making these for anyone and everyone who’s joining us for the holidays.

I used some glorious cream silk that I picked up at the FabMo event. It was more than enough for these bottoms, so I’m hoping I’ll also be able to make a matching ruby camisole, an idea I stole from Tia Dia.  Why would a rescue have a giant piece of silk like this one?  Simple.  It was labeled “SAMPLE” in five different locations diagonally across the piece.  I did my best to minimize the number of times the SAMPLE sections made it into my pajama bottoms, but one of the front legs and both of the back legs got hit.  I considered the SAMPLE side to be the wrong side of the fabric, so the bold letters are on the inside of these bottoms to minimize their obnoxiousness.  You can still see the letters though.  If you look in the photo above, you can just make it out between my right ankle and calf.  My mind’s already turning around the possibilities of ombre dying since all of the offending marks are on the lower portion of the pajamas.  I love the look of my ombre scarves, and I think a similar cream to black fade on these pajama bottoms could be quite interesting.

To mark the front from the back, I followed the pattern suggestions and added a little bow.  It makes it look like the pajamas are cinched by a drawstring, but the waist is really held up by 1/2″ elastic.  Yes, silk, French seams, and elastic.  All class here, kids.

I’m excited to see who else is joining the party. I’ll be stalking Karen’s blog, but if you also played along and are reading this right now, put a link to your pajama bottoms in the comments so that my job will be a little easier.

Now let’s get this party started!

UPDATE:  I forgot to mention that I’m adding these to my SWAP.  I think it’s kind of cheating since I didn’t do a thing to “fit” them, but they do blend with the colors I’ve used so far in my SWAP, and without them I have no hope of finishing before the end of the month.  So, yes, garment number ten is complete.

1. April 28, 2012 7:12 am

I wanted to join the pajama party, but between a couple of things that are REQUIRED sewing for MMM12 and some custom garments due by the end of May, I had to pass on the invitation. It’s nice to know you got a pair of lounge pants without getting hit too many times with the sample stamp. Looking comfy!

• April 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Required sewing? I’m excited for Me-Made May. See you there!

2. April 28, 2012 10:49 am

They look gorgeous! Beautiful silk. I really want to make a pair of silk pyjamas at some point. Thanks for joining the fun!

• April 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks for hosting Karen! It was a great party!

3. April 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Great Pjs. Lots of us are reading these series. I cannot wait for the next 2 books to come out.

• April 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks for linking to your pajamas. Super cute!

4. April 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Gorgeous silk pjs! A bit more classy than mine, which also sport elastic between the ties, but without the silk or french seam component. http://toboldlysew.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/pyjama-party-kisses-for-me-save-all-your-kisses-for-me/

5. sewtechnicolor permalink
    April 28, 2012 2:42 pm

They look really nice! =) I need to make some new pajama pants…all of mine have shrunk up in the wash and are now too short for me.

Thanks for linking to my blog!

6. April 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Gasp, silk! You made grown up jammies pyjama bottoms! I didn’t actually notice the lettering till you pointed it out but an ombre would be awetastic. What colour(s) are you gonna use? Do it do it! And share! My jammies are here.

7. April 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Way cute, Amy! Silk pajama bottoms sound amazing – you put that sample fabric to great use!

I just finished Game of Thrones and LOVED it! I realized that I was pretty lost in the HBO series, so I’ll stick with the books for now. I can follow the characters much easier!

8. Sherry permalink
    April 29, 2012 2:07 am

These look lovely Amy! I was planning on silk ones too, but I’m a bit late to the party!

9. April 29, 2012 3:09 am

Silk PJs…. LOVELY! And the elastic I think is luxurious in a practical way – drawstrings are just not so practical & are higher maintenance when wearing, don’t you think?

10. April 29, 2012 8:02 am

I love the silk PJs, very stylish.

11. April 29, 2012 10:12 am

I love this creamy yellow. I definitely should’ve joined the pajama party because I now have a tnt for them, and it’s kind of a fun way to use up fabric that is getting a little stale. Ombred silks are so pretty, too–that’s be a fun experiment!

12. April 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Those are really nice, they must feel lovely to wear.

13. April 29, 2012 9:37 pm

They look great! I’ve been reading Dance with Dragons too. I actually finished it in my lunchbreak today! I hope you’re enjoying it, i definitely did.

14. April 30, 2012 3:04 am

very stylish PJs – they must be lovely to wear. I too am reading the Song of Ice & Fire books, though only on book 3 at the moment.

15. April 30, 2012 10:22 am

Love these! They look so cozy and nice (and you totally can’t see the print on your leg). I’m glad you were able to rescue this silk!

16. May 1, 2012 5:12 pm

Ooh, silk?!? How lovely!

Can I still share my PJs late?

• May 2, 2012 12:04 am

Definitely not too late. Welcome to the party!

1. Sewing with a Plan: The Final Tally « Sew Well