Block of the Month: January and February

June 14, 2012

This year I’m sewing along with Amy Gibson from Stitchery Dickory Dock. A bunch of other talented seamsters and I have joined up to make a quilt using Craftsy’s 2012 Block of the Month class. This post marks the beginning of the saga.

Back when I declared my addiction to Craftsy, I mentioned that I’d signed up for their free 2012 Block of the Month class. I was excited to learn how to quilt with the confidence that I would have a finished quilt within the year. Then the SWAP got in the way, and I never got around to starting. Now that the year is almost half way over (where does the time go?!), I really want to catch up.

To begin I needed material.  I thought about using scraps from all of the garment sewing I’ve done over the last year and a half, but I wasn’t quite sure how well it would all go together.  I decided instead to use the same fabrics that are being used in the video lessons so that I don’t have to worry with scraps when I don’t even know what’s coming up next. Plus, I plan to make this quilt a gift, so I actually want it to look nice.

Who’s the quilt for, you ask?

My unborn, unconceived child.

Ummm, what?!

Hold on, there’s a backstory. I have a talented scientist friend who has a talented athlete sister (talented as in she is a gold medal Olympian). Talented athlete sister is gearing up for this summer’s Olympic games and happened to be interviewed about her training.  Towards the end of the interview, she admits to enjoying cross stitch. Then she admits to cross stitching a Christmas stocking for talented scientist friend’s daughter. Now, this sounds normal and all, but I was in shock because I didn’t know talented scientist friend had a daughter. Where had she been hiding all this time? When pressed by the interviewer, talented athlete sister admitted that talented scientist friend was not married and did not yet have a daughter. Instead, and I quote, the gift was for her unborn, unconceived child. I died laughing at this point, and I didn’t stop laughing for days. I shared the interview with my husband and freaked him out by telling him I wanted to make this particular quilt for our unborn, unconceived child. After a few more days of laughter, it just stuck. And I kind of became excited about it.  It’s not so creepy now that you know the backstory, right?

Right?!

Anyway…

I’ve finished January’s and February’s quilt blocks so far. In January we learned how to make slashed blocks. The first block was the asterisk block…

…and the second block was the wonky pound sign block.

In February we learned two methods for making half-square triangles. This month the first block was the Balkan puzzle block…

…and the second block was the chunky chevron block.

I need to get moving since I’m still eight blocks behind. I want to be caught up at least by the time the class shifts to putting the quilt together.   I imagine those steps will be a little more time consuming, especially with my being new to the whole process.

On to March and April!

1. June 14, 2012 7:08 am

I love it! I’m having a drink for your unborn, unconceived child tonight :D Great work btw.

mwah x

2. June 14, 2012 7:33 am

it’s definitely not creepy… just chuckle worthy :) have fun!

• June 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks. The squares are pretty quick and easy projects. Now just to find the time…

3. Jennifer permalink
    June 14, 2012 8:01 am

Hehe – I think it’s a fantastic idea! The blocks look great. Your unborn, unconceived child will love it!…someday :-)

• June 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks! Now to just catch up with the rest of the class. I feel like such a slacker!

4. June 14, 2012 9:27 am

Hilarious! Just as long as you haven’t already started decorating a room for your unborn, unconceived child…

• June 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Ooooh, that would be weird. We definitely don’t have the space in our tiny apartment for a nursery, but if we did, it would likely be decorated in fabric and sewing machines!!

5. June 14, 2012 9:42 am

Bwahahahahahaha! I love this! I thought my mom was super creepy when I found out that she’s been buying toys for her nonexistent grandchildren for years now. But maybe that’s the least weird answer for why the top of her closet was filled with My Little Ponies?

6. Shams permalink
    June 14, 2012 2:11 pm

You are a bit young but I lived towards the tail end of the era of the “hope chest”. A young lady would sew, embroider, and create all sorts of linen and bedding for her future household. I was given the gift of a large cedar chest when I graduated high school, for this sort of purpose. This is just an update of that grand tradition. ;)

• June 14, 2012 5:47 pm

I did miss the Hope Chest. I would have likely filled a cedar chest with sweaters and gym clothes if I’d been given one in high school. I did not dream of linens and marriage when I was younger. Funny how things change with a bit of perspective. It really is a positive idea to share – hope.

7. June 14, 2012 3:32 pm

What a great idea!! “Be always prepared” – I say. Hmm, does that mean I have to start knitting for my ‘yet to be conceived” grandchildren? Why not!!

8. June 14, 2012 4:44 pm

hurrah for quilting! beware though, it’s addictive! and it’s not creepy, it’s a nice thing to do.

9. June 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Hahaha, I’m working out my sewing plan for the next year and some maternity items are sneaking in on there. I figure by the time I think having another baby is a good idea it’ll be too late to get sewing…

• June 14, 2012 5:48 pm

A sewing plan for a whole year?! I could hardly handle the first few months of the year! Bravo to you!

10. June 14, 2012 6:32 pm

I think it’s a beautiful idea, like a way to cherish and bless into the future. I’d love to learn quilting and I love the idea of a block of the month! A little at a time…

11. mlsurfs permalink
    June 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Amazing! You should put a square with Mary Caroline in!

12. June 15, 2012 6:28 am

This is a pretty great idea! Whether or not you ever get around to having that unborn child – quilts are always enjoyable. These blocks are so cute! I especially love the chunky chevron. I’d love with that big chevron pattern!

13. June 15, 2012 9:29 am

These blocks are so pretty! Gosh, is there anything you don’t sew? I am in love with your maxi, Minoru, jeans, and now these blocks. I can’t wait to see your finished quilt (and one day meet your as yet unconceived, unborn child!).

14. June 15, 2012 11:08 am

I think that’s a great idea! I don’t want to tempt fate though, so I won’t make one for either of my daughters just yet! :o

15. June 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Hilarious! And hey, I bought a onesie at the Museum of Science that had a wind turbine silkscreen on the front, and read “wind farm” on the bum. With no intentions of having a child. But Ry works in renewables, and it just made me laugh too much!

ps – all my best to your family. lots of hugs.

1. Please Give a Hug to your Loved Ones « Sew Well