Friday Finds for Sewing Well
There’s been a lot of radio silence on the blog this month. I’ve missed the creativity that writing brings and the joy I get from being an active part of the online sewing community, but there’s just been so much going on outside of the internet. In a nutshell my husband and I bought our very first house. We love it. It’s gorgeous. And, it must be a magnet for the sun – it’s always so light and bright inside, even on the dreariest of Seattle days.
The downsides: not only have we had to pack everything up and move for the second time this year – with a three month old baby girl no less – but also the last time this 1909 house was renovated was likely in the ’30s. There is one outlet in the kitchen, and it’s knob and tube. There is no stove or refrigerator, but there is one of those giant, scary freezers that will lock you inside if you dare crawl in. The yard is a blank slate. There’s a soon-to-be unused chimney running through the center of the house that really breaks up the kitchen and one of the bedrooms. And, the garage is about to fall down.
Our new home will be a project house, but we’re actually pretty excited about it. We get to design our dream kitchen right away, open up walls that take us back in time and reveal hidden secrets about our house, start planting our very own garden, dream about the future, and more.
Sewing may even be involved in the renovations. Do I dare try to make my own curtains and cushions and pillows? Oh my!
Anyway, that’s been the gist of my month. Exciting times, chez Sew Well.
I have still been trying to keep my eye out for fun Friday Finds though, and this week there seemed to be enough to warrant squeezing in the time to write a post.
- In the New York area? Or, headed there soon? Want to know the secrets of the garment district? Check out Seek New York Tours, a new sponsor of this blog. Save by using the coupon code “WELL” when you check out! I’m even considering hosting a giveaway for a ticket. Any interest out there for a free tour?!
- Fine Fabrics is having a big sale. Just about everything is 20-50% off from what I can tell. Care for some Burberry? Pucci? Missoni? They’ve got it!
- Have you signed up for Mood Fabric‘s emails? I know they (annoyingly?) ask for your email in a popup every single time you go to their site (at least they do for me), so the answer is likely yes, but if not, those emails do have a lot of great one-day-only sales in them.
- Britex Fabrics is having a remnant sale through the 26th. Oh how I miss the Bay Area!
- Teach Me Fashion now has five pattern and video pairings out there (singlet, draped coat, leggings, draped skirt, pants). Has anyone out there tested any of them out yet? I’m eager to try!
What else has caught your eye this week?!