This past week I finally got around to making a muslin of the cape that my mom asked for back in December – for Christmas. I mentioned it when I showed off the muslin for her Jackie O outfit, and it’s taken me until now to get enough muslin to make it up.
This cape is supposed to replace a cape my mom’s mom made for her forever ago. I think that particular cape wore out awhile back, but with the recent resurgence in capes (and her daughter’s new found love of sewing), she decided it was time to have it replaced. Her old cape had a collar and slits for your hands, met in the center front and closed with a frog closure, and hit just below the knee. We spent awhile sending patterns back and forth, but nothing seemed just right. Finally, I decided (on my own!) that I wanted to use Simplicity 5252.
It had a cute rounded collar, slits for hands hidden in the princess seams, a lining and facing, a below the knee length, and bonus pockets hidden inside the lining. It also included a placket for buttons or a fur trim, but I figured it would be easy enough to lop that off and instead finish the cape at the center front.
The muslin is now on its way to my mom. Here’s to hoping it meets expectations. If she likes the collar and overall shape, then she should only need to mark the hem length and decide whether the shoulders fit her nicely or not. Then we can get to fabric selection! I can’t wait!
As for the Jackie O dress, it fits her really well as is. She likely needs it taken in just a touch though, and she’d like me to help her decide on just how much, so we’re waiting until we see each other at the end of March before we move on to the next step. I already have a beautiful blue Irish linen from Fine Fabrics waiting. And, instead of the cute but boxy little coat that came with Simplicity 6402, I’m going to make her a French-style jacket. When I picked up the Irish linen, I also picked up a beautiful boucle made up of all of my mom’s favorite jewel tones that pairs beautifully with the color of the linen. I planned on using it for the matching jacket, but when we were discussing the fabric and the fit, a French-style jacket seemed a better way to go. Now I just need to find the time to muslin a French-sytle jacket sometime in the next month. And learn more about constructing one. Then my mom will have three muslins and no completed Christmas presents. But, at least we’re having fun with the process!