- When did you acquire your helpful feline assistant? I actually got both of my cats before the sewing craze hit.
- Was he/she immediately helpful, or did it take awhile? They were both very curious about all things crafty from the start. Especially once I discovered the world of patterns. They love pattern paper.
- What is the average amount of time elapsed between when you start a project and when something gets helped with? My apartment is small, so they pretty much come over to help craft immediately. Wiley especially.
- What is your helpful feline assistant’s favorite/weirdest thing to assist with? Wiley loves my French curve. I have no idea what it is about this particular tool, but he is obsessed with it. If it’s out, he’s trying to attack it. If I hide it under my cutting mat to keep it safe, he’s sticking his nose and paws as far under the cutting mat as he can manage to try to get it until I finally hang it up completely out of his reach. Only then does life returns to normal. My hopes of drafting my own pattern block diminish daily. Maya, on the other hand, loves sprinting and sliding over pattern pieces. She’ll come through just when I’ve carefully laid out all of my pattern pieces on my perfectly grained fabric. In the blink of an eye, everything’s askew.
- How do you decline said assistance without losing your arm? Patience.
- What’s the worst thing your helpful feline assistant has managed to botch up? I’m imagining shredded chiffon, snagged silks, etc. The worst is probably the claw marks in my Minoru lining. Thankfully pattern pieces can be taped back together for the most part.
- Are you ever afraid to post too many pictures of your helpful feline assistant on your blog, for fear of being labeled a crazy cat lady? Oh, no. I love finding out that a favorite sewing blogger is a cat person. There’s something comforting about it. I’ve started trying to take more photos in fun places outside though, which limits cat appearances. If I could only figure out how to take better photos at night, my preferred sewing time…
Do you also sew with cats? Grab the blog award and share your own favorite stories of cats and sewing. (I smile at the irony of making Cation Design’s humorous take on blog awards substantive.)
And, in honor of Cation Design’s celebration of National Poetry Month, here’s the ode referenced in the title of this post. It’s written by Eleanor Farjeon.
Cats sleep anywhere, any table, any chair.
Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge.
Open drawer, empty shoe, anybody’s lap will do.
Fitted in a cardboard box, in the cupboard with your frocks.
Anywhere! They don’t care! Cats sleep anywhere.
I do enjoy my daily dose of vitamin D. And, I’m flattered that both she and Cation Designs have put me in very fine company.