I can’t ever seem to follow directions during my monthly sewing class at Eddie’s Quilting Bee. This month everyone was making linen napkins. They were really nice, but since I hadn’t gotten the monthly project email, I came with my own project in mind: a case for my new iPad.
I wanted it to be just a little bit bigger than the iPad in all dimensions so I took my iPad with me to class. I picked out a big, bold print that would go with the iPad’s green cover, and I cut the fabric so that each side contained the same motif in a different colorway. I got the basic design for the zipper and pockets from a friend’s iPad case, only I added a button to one of the interior pockets to secure small items like the charge cord, and I also added an extra pocket inside for my stylus. My iPad is going to be mostly used for work – taking notes at seminars and conferences, reading papers, etc., so having a stylus on hand at all times is key. And, I can’t afford to lose it as its more than one should pay for what is essentially a pen. So, a special narrow pocket in the case seemed like as easy solution.
My original idea was to use left over minky scraps for the lining, figuring my iPad would be nice and cozy encased by all that fluff. But, after I worked out how to insert the lining, all that fluff made the case too small for my iPad. I could only just squeeze it in. So, out came the minky and in went a simple cotton.
The only thing I’d change if I were to make another is to add a second external pocket. I’d then also add handles to the outside that could tuck away in the two outside pockets, giving me the ability to use the case as a clutch and as a bag.
But, that aside, I couldn’t be happier with the case. It was really fun to take an idea I had in my head and figure out how to make it happen in fabric. It’s going to get a lot of use!