Hi friends! It’s been busy around here to say the least. I carved out a bit of time this evening to dust the cobwebs off this blog, but then it’s back to the grindstone again tomorrow. The end of at least a large chunk of the crazy-busy is in sight though, and I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to glimpse light at the end of the tunnel. Hooray for patience and perseverance! Anyway, this week I finally have some Friday Finds to share. These are mostly relevant to those reading in the Seattle area, but even if you’re half way around the world, at least take a look at the first one.
- Seattle’s very own Helena of Gray All Day released her first indie pattern, the Sandpoint Top. It’s a knit top with cute little cap sleeves and a fun cowl in the back. And, through this weekend it’s 20% off over at her new site GrayDay Patterns using the coupon code “first week”. Helena was actually the winner of the Project Indie Contest over at The Monthly Stitch, so this pattern is actually coming at you with lots of business experience behind it. I’m eager to make up the Sandpoint myself, and I can’t wait to see what’s next for GrayDay!
- If you’ve been to the Sewing in Seattle page on my blog recently, you might have noticed that I’ve started adding head shots along with the names and blog addresses of the local sewing bloggers I know. I was hoping that it might help to make connections, both locally and virtually. Maybe you’ll recognize a face, either from your local fabric store or from virtual sewing communities like Pattern Review, BurdaStyle, or Kollabora? I have fifteen photos of fifteen lovely sewing bloggers so far, and I’d love to keep filling in the list, so if you see your name here without a photo, leave me a comment or send me an email. Also, if you live in the Seattle area and have a blog about sewing that isn’t listed yet, let me know as well!
|Amy of Sew Well||Denise of The Stitcherie||Erin of Seamstress Erin||gMarie of G Marie Sews||Gwen of Calm Under Tension|
|Helena of Gray All Day||Jennifer of My Sewing Suite||Leah of Away I Sew!||MaLora of Bird and Bicycle||Maris of Sew Maris|
|Meris of The Fabric Alchemist||Missy of Missy’s Craft Journal||Patricia of Okan Arts||Rebecca of Cup + Penny||Sanae of Sanae Ishida|
- Meris of The Fabric Alchemist will be leading a two-hour workshop on costume research and fabric choices on November 16th at Zeita Studios, a clothing and custom sewing business her friends opened this year. The focus will be on the upcoming cosplay season, but the workshop will be of interest for anyone who enjoys costume creation. It sounds like there will also be two more classes in the series, a workshop on construction techniques and a fitting session. You can read more about it on Meris’s blog and then sign up on the Zeita Studios’ workshop page.
- Speaking of costumes, the Evergreen City Ballet is in search of some seamstresses who would enjoy working on costumes. They have a couple productions each year where they need help. Let me know if you’re interested, and I’ll get you in touch with the right people. Once my crazy officially ends, I think I’d enjoy trying my hand at a costume or two! Especially after taking Meris’s class!
- Finally, I’m thinking of hosting another gathering this fall, maybe even with another bunch of fabrics to give away. If you don’t think I have your email but are interested in joining in on the fun, let me know in the comments.